|(CH 1903)||E 729264||N 105653||H 1770.0|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 9.110||Lat. 46.090|
Naturalistic, Landscape, Hiking, Archaeological
In the course of recent research into the area of the valley and anthropological analysis carried out by the P. Giovio Archaeological Museum of Como, approximately one hundred pieces of archaeological evidence have been recorded and documented pertaining to the ancient presence of humans in the valley. Among the oldest traces detected is a small structure of the Neolithic Age, until now the only one of its kind, found on the east side of Mount Garzirola at an altitude of about 1750 metres above sea level. Large quantities of charcoal were also found at high altitudes near Mutata del Rozzo, dating from the Renaissance Age, which testify to the intense exploitation of forests to make charcoal. In the valley bottom there is evidence of ancient iron mines.
From Como: Take the 340 Regina motorway to Menaggio and then head towards Porlezza past the town of Grandola ed Uniti, thus reaching the Ponte di Pino (Carlazzo). At the roundabout turn right onto the road for Val Cavargna. The journey from Ponte di Pino to Cavargna (the last town in the valley) lasts about an hour and is 17.2 kiometres long.
The “Path of the Four Valleys” is a route of 45 kilometres which starts from Breglia above Menaggio and takes you to Dasio in Valsolda above Lake Lugano. The total travelling time is around 18 hours.