From Paganism to Christianisation
|(CH 1903)||E 710480||N 98920||H 319.0|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 8.866||Lat. 46.033|
Didactic, Archaeological, Historical
The holy area of Bioggio is the only Roman-era religious site excavated to date in Ticino. It consisted of a surrounding wall, at the centre of which lay a prostyle temple (with a portico on the façade), raised on a podium, and with two Corinthian capital pillars constructed from white marble imported from Proconnesus (Asia Minor). Standing in front of the temple were two circular trenches used for sacrificial remains and bounded by a rectangular space where a mortared pillar base can still be seen. After the building was destroyed by fire, the eighteen marble pieces of the small temple were laid out carefully next to each other. The temple was probably dedicated to Giove Ottimo Massimo Nennico (Jupiter Optimus Maximus Nennico), a divinity of the Capitoline triad associated with the name of a local divinity, as suggested by the votive altar found in the course of the excavations.
By public transport: take the small FLP Lugano-Ponte Tresa train to Bioggio, then walk for 10 minutes toward the centre, to Via Valle Maggiore (municipal car park). By car: motorway A2, exit Lugano Nord, then take Strada Regina toward Manno-Bioggio, turn right onto Via Cademario, then left onto Via S. Maurizio, and right onto Via Valle Maggiore as far as the car park.
CARDANI VERGANI, R., Bioggio: un esempio di continuità civile e cultuale dalla romanità al Medioevo, in Archeologia Svizzera, 1998, fasc.4, pp. 155-162.
AA.VV., Bioggio, Guida ai monumenti svizzeri SSAS, 2008.
AA.VV., Bioggio, in Il Piano del Vedeggio, dalla strada regina all'aeroporto, a cura di Panzera F. Bellinzona, SalvioniEdizioni, 2008.