The history of a disputed church living benefit
|(CH 1903)||E 702835||N 112325||H 200.0|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 8.770||Lat. 46.155|
Archaeological, Historical, Architectural
The 1979 excavation work conducted by UBC uncovered the six different construction phases marking the history of this building. The first two phases were in the Carolingian epoch, with the construction of a quadrangular nave chapel with a semi-circular apse and square-based altar (phase 1), followed by the addition of an open portico on the façade (phase 2). In the Romanesque period (phase 3) some alterations were made to the portico and to the exterior plastering. The transformation of the building into a trapezoid nave structure dates back to the fourteenth century (phase 4), when the quadrangular chancel and rectangular altar were also constructed. The portico was then incorporated into the nave, in the form of a bay, in the early seventeenth century (phase 5). During the final phase, from the mid sixteenth to the early seventeenth centuries, the alignment of the church was rotated 180 degrees, while the presbytery was moved westward and raised to its current level.
By car: from Locarno take the A13 towards Ascona and exit onto Via Locarno; continue along Viale Monte Verità, turn left onto Via Buonamano and continue to the car park, then walk to Via delle Cappelle (5 minutes). By bus: from Locarno Station take the Brissago bus and get off at Co’ di Camp, then walk to Via delle Cappelle (5 minutes). Opening times: April-October: Tuesday-Saturday: 10.00-12.00 / 20.00-22.00. During the winter period: open on request.
AA.VV, Oratorio dei santi Fabiano e Sebastiano, Museo Parrocchiale, Locarno, 2000;
AA.VV. Guida d’arte della Svizzera Italiana, Bellinzona, 2007;
AA.VV, Oratorio dei Santi Fabiano e Sebastiano ad Ascona, in Rivista Svizzera d’arte e d’archeologia, 68, 2011;