Palazzo Pretorio, P.zza Romagnoli, 28854 Malesco
|(CH 1903)||E 682198||N 108863||H|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 8.502||Lat. 46.126|
Ethnographical, Didactic, Archaeological, Historical
The Pietra Ollare Archaeological Museum of Malesco, established in 2006, is housed in an historic building which was formerly the Magistrates’ Court. The first rooms illustrate the geological features of soapstone, and the techniques used to process it in both ancient and modern times. The main room is dedicated to the archaeology of Val Vigezzo and contains exhibits of prehistoric artefacts, the most striking of which are perhaps the Bronze Age axe from Folsogno di Re and a soapstone casting mould from Toceno, where some equipment from the Second Iron Age was also found. The itinerary continues with an extensive collection of Roman objects from Craveggia, made from soapstone, pottery, glass, silver, iron and other materials, suggesting the existence of a prosperous valley economy in ancient times. The Museum is housed in the former Vigezzo Magistrates’ Court, in a Palace dating back to around the fifteenth century, some original features of which are still visible in the great hall: wonderful fragments of wall decorations related to the various alterations made to the building following its purchase by private parties.
Strada Statele 33, exit at Val Vigezzo and continue to the town of Malesco. From there, follow the directions for the Museum and Parco Val Grande.
SPAGNOLO GARZOLI G. (2006) a cura di, “Guida breve del Museo archeologico della pietra ollare del Parco Nazionale della Val Grande”, Malesco