Via Roma 8, 28802 Mergozzo
|(CH 1903)||E 678267||N 90417||H|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 8.448||Lat. 45.961|
Ethnographical, Didactic, Archaeological, Historical
The Municipal Archaeological Museum, occupying two floors of the eighteenth-century “Luigi Tamini” Palace, contains material from Verbano Cusio Ossola covering a time period ranging from the Stone Age to the threshold of the Middle Ages. The first floor is dedicated to stone and contains implements and tools traditionally used by quarrymen in ancient times, and stone artifacts and chisels found on archaeological sites. The first room on the second floor contains prehistoric and proto-historic materials found in Mergozzo and elsewhere in the local area (Feriolo, Baceno, Passo dell’Arbola). The Late Iron Age is represented by grave goods from the necropolises of Carcegna (first century C.E.). The second room illustrates the Roman Era, with items from the numerous excavations conducted in Mergozzo and in the surrounding area.
From Motoway A26, exit at Verbania and continue along the S.S. 34-via Martiri. Cross the bridge over the River Toce and follow the directions for Mergozzo.
POLETTI ECCLESIA E. (2007) a cura di, “Guida Civico Museo Archeologico Mergozzo”, Mergozzo.